Even good things can become idols if we give them central importance in our lives. Having children changes everything, and as mothers, we risk looking for life, purpose and meaning in motherhood. While being a mother brings its unique set of challenges, these years of raising children and helping them grow in the nurture and admonition of the Lord provide an opportunity to grow in our own Christlikeness as well.
Writing from her own personal experience as a mom, Christina Fox encourages mothers to prayerfully and thoughtfully examine their own hearts, and to let God use motherhood as a means of sanctification.
Split into three sections, the first chapter looks at the meaning motherhood; chapters 2–4 are about idolatry; chapters 5–9 focus on a few different idols that mothers might worship (not an exhaustive list, but a common few); and the final chapters are about facing idols, dethroning them, and turning our heart back to the One true God.
1. The Sanctifying Work of Motherhood
2. Made for Worship
3. What is Idolatry?
4. Identifying Idols in Our Lives
5. The Idol of Children
6. The Idol of Achievement and Success
7. The Idol of Comfort
8. The Idol of Control
9. The Idol of Approval
10. Turning from Our Idols
11. Turning to Christ
Christina Fox is a blogger at www.christinafox.com where she chronicles her faith journey. She writes for a number of Christian ministries and publications including Desiring God and The Gospel Coalition. She lives with her husband and two sons.
"This book will not only make you a better mother, it will make you a better worshipper. I heartily commend Christina’s book to Christian mothers everywhere."
- David Murray, Professor of Old Testament & Practical Theology, Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids, Michigan
"Idolatry can be subtle or flagrant but either way what we need is heart surgery. Idols of a Mother’s Heart brings the gentle scalpel of the gospel to the divided hearts of women. Every page is Scripture saturated and theologically robust."
- Karen Hodge, PCA Coordinator of Women’s Ministry; Author of Transformed: Life–taker to Life–giver
"This book is a great resource for mothers who are eager to fulfill their calling to the glorify and enjoy God."
- Dr. Stephen Estock, Coordinator, PCA Discipleship Ministries
"With gentle precision, Fox exposes the lesser gods that take up residence in our hearts. And, with wisdom born of personal experience, she helps readers tear them down—so that Christ might have his rightful place. Mothers, if you want to learn to hate sin and love Christ, this book is for you."
- Megan Hill, Author Praying Together; Contributor to The Gospel Coalition, Today in the Word, and CT Women; Editorial Board Member, Christianity Today magazine; pastor's wife; writer and speaker