This is an 'ebook'. It contains the same content of its equivalent hard copy (NOT A PDF) but is read on your computer, tablet or electronic book reader. View download instructions here for more information.
Note: You will receive a link to download your ebook after your payment has been processed (Orders are processed 8 am. to 5 pm., therefore, if you order after this time your “ebook” may not be delivered until that next morning).
Also Available on Amazon.com:
“You have likely read the parables of Christ before, perhaps many times. But have they read you?” With this thought-provoking question, author Gerald Bilkes introduces readers to the concept of interpreting the Scriptures experimentally as he takes a heart-searching look at Christ’s parables.
In this spiritually rewarding Bible study, the author shows students of Scripture how to read the parables in a way that takes into account the truth that Scripture searches us as we subject ourselves to it. When we recognize this, we can expect Scripture to transform us.
An ideal tool for personal or group Bible study, with questions following each lesson, Glory Veiled and Unveiled considers the contexts and main messages of twenty-five parables and puts our hearts under the “searchlight” of Scripture, guiding us into the knowledge of Christ, our gracious and glorious king.
Table of Contents:
Approaching the Parables
1. Awakening to Glory: The Radiance of the Scriptures
2. The King of Glory: The Mystery of the Parables
The Glory of the Kingdom: Some Parables in Matthew and Mark
3. The Glory of Kingdom Reception: The Parable of the Sower
4. The Glory of Kingdom Sovereignty: The Parable of the Seed Growing Secretly
5. The Glory of Kingdom Patience: The Parable of the Tares
6. The Glory of Kingdom Power: The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven
7. The Glory of Kingdom Excellence: The Parables of the Treasure and the Pearl
8. The Glory of Kingdom Judgment: The Parable of the Net
The Glory of the Gospel: Some Parables in Luke
9. The Glory of Gospel Mercy: The Parable of the Good Samaritan
10. The Glory of Gospel Fruitfulness: The Parable of the Unfruitful Fig Tree
11. The Glory of Gospel Wisdom: The Parable of the Rich Fool
12. The Glory of Gospel Provision: The Parable of the Great Supper
13. The Glory of Gospel Love: The Parable of the Prodigal Son
14. The Glory of Gospel Prudence: The Parable of the Unjust Steward
15. The Glory of Gospel Testimony: The Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus
16. The Glory of Gospel Access: Three Parables about Prayer
The Glory of the Kingdom: Some More Parables from Matthew
17. The Glory of Kingdom Forgiveness: The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant
18. The Glory of Kingdom Grace: The Laborers in the Vineyard
19. The Glory of Kingdom Design: The Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen
20. The Glory of Kingdom Watchfulness: The Parable of the Ten Virgins
21. The Glory of Kingdom Stewardship: The Parable of the Talents
22. The Glory of Kingdom Separation: The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats
The Glory of Christ: The Parables of John
23. The Glory of Christ’s Sacrifice: The Parable of the Sheepfold
24. The Glory of Union with Christ: The Parable of the Vine and Its Branches
25. Full Glory: No More in Parables
Gerald M. Bilkes is professor of New Testament and biblical theology at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids.
“We have come to expect good things from Dr. Bilkes, and in Glory Veiled and Unveiled we are not disappointed. He has given us a marvelous exposition of the parables, revealing astute awareness of the subtleties of the genre and a keen eye for their current application. With pointed questions, each chapter is designed for use in personal and corporate Bible study. Individuals and churches will profit enormously from this book.” — Derek W. H. Thomas, Minister of Preaching and Teaching, First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, SC
"In this volume, the author encourages the reader to approach the parables experimentally. That is, he calls us to read them with the purpose of having their truths challenge and change us. Written for both laypeople and pastors, this resource deserves wide circulation. Among the several books that I have on the parables, this volume ranks among the finest!" —Rob Ventura, Pastor, Grace Community Baptist Church, North Providence, Rhode Island