Pro-life Christians, take heart: the pro-life message can compete in the marketplace of ideas-provided Christians properly understand and articulate that message. Too many Christians do not understand the essential truths of the pro-life position, making it difficult for them to articulate a biblical worldview on issues like abortion, cloning, and embryo research.
The Case for Life provides intellectual grounding for the pro-life convictions that most evangelicals hold. Author Scott Klusendorf first simplifies the debate: the sanctity of life is not a morally complex issue. It's not about choice, privacy, or scientific progress. To the contrary, the debate turns on one key question: What is the unborn? From there readers learn how to engage the great bio-tech debate of the twenty-first century, how to answer objections persuasively, and what the role of the pro-life pastor should be.
Table of Contents:
Part One: Pro-Life Christians Clarify the Debate
1. What’s The Issue?
2. What Is the Unborn?
3. What Makes Humans Valuable?
4. Is Embryonic Stem Cell Research Morally Complex?
Part Two: Pro-Life Christians Establish a Foundation for the Debate
5. The Ground Rules, Part 1: Can You Name My Claim?
6. The Ground Rules, Part 2: Is Moral Neutrality Possible?
7. Foundations: Does God Matter? (Or Am I Just Matter?)
8. Dead Silence: Does the Bible Justify Abortion?
Part Three: Pro-Life Christians Answer Objections Persuasively
9. From Debate to Dialogue: Asking the Right Questions
10. The Coast Hanger Objection: “Women Will Die from Illegal Abortions”
11. The Tolerance Objection: “You Shouldn’t Force Your Views on Others”
12. The Single Issue Objection: “Pro-Lifers Should Broaden Their Focus”
13. The Hard Cases Objection: “Rape Justifies Abortion”
14. The “I don’t Like You” Objection: “Men Can’t Get Pregnant” and Other Personal Attacks
15. The Bodily Autonomy Objection: “It’s My Body, I’ll Decide”
16. Equip to Engage: The Pro-Life Pastor in the Twenty-First Century
17. Healed and Equipped: Hope for Post-Abortion Men and Women
18. Here We Stand: Co-Belligerence without Theological Compromise
19. Can We Win? How Pro-Life Christians Are Making an Extraordinary Impact
Scott Klusendorf is the president of Life Training Institute, where he trains pro-life advocates to persuasively defend their views. A passionate and engaging platform speaker, Scott's pro-life presentations have been featured by Focus on the Family, Truths That Transform, and American Family Radio. Scott is a graduate of UCLA and the author of Pro-Life 101.
"Scott Klusendorf has produced a marvelous resource that will equip pro-lifers to communicate more creatively and effectively as they engage our culture. The Case for Life is well-researched, well-written, logical, and clear, containing many pithy and memorable statements. Those already pro-life will be equipped; those on the fence will likely be persuaded. Readers looking to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves will find much here to say. I highly recommend this book." - Randy Alcorn, Founder and Director, Eternal Perspective Ministries; author, Heaven andHappiness
"Scott Klusendorf takes the insights and methods for defending the right to life he so effectively communicates in his teaching presentations into a book that provides a clear and cogent biblical rationale for the sanctity and dignity of life, born or unborn. This is a great tool for the layman who knows he or she is pro-life, but doesn't understand the presuppositions on which his or her beliefs are based or who doesn't feel equipped to defend or discuss the issue with others." - Charles Colson, founder, Prison Fellowship and the Colson Center for Christian Worldview