Whatever happened to Western civilization? Somehow, Christians have lost ground in every cultural area of leadership and influence in Europe and America since 1700. This is an indubitable fact. The remaining Christians search for an explanation. They want to know how it happened.
This is the story of the decline and fall of Western civilization. It is the story of uncommonly powerful men, unfathomably evil men. . . apostates.
This book faces head-on the spiritual forces that leveled a full-out attack on the Christian faith in the Western world. On the one hand, it is a story of demonic possession, insanity, suicide, mass-murder, adultery, homosexuality, cultural and social revolutions, and unbridled, maniacal apostasy. It is the story of apostasy on a massive scale. But it is also a story of hope and victory for the last men standing in the ashes of Western civilization. It will be a testimony to the inevitable triumph of Jesus Christ over the great men of renown who picked the wrong fight in the history of the West.
Table of Contents:
Part 1: The Nephilim
2. The Contours of the Battle
3. Thomas Aquinas – Forming the Humanist Synthesis
4. Rene Descartes – Forming the Humanist Philosopher
5. John Locke – Forming the Humanist Theologian
6. Jean-Jacques Rousseau – Forming the Humanist Society
7. Jeremy Bentham – Forming the Humanistic Ethic
8. Ralph Waldo Emerson – Forming the Humanist Person
9. Karl Marx – Forming the Humanist Political State
10. Charles Darwin – Forming the Humanist Scientist
11. Friedrich Nietzsche – Forming the Humanist Psychology
12. John Dewey – Forming the Humanist Education
13. Jean-Paul Sarte – Forming the Humanist Culture
Part 2: The Literary Nephilim
14. William Shakespeare (Macbeth: What’s the Metaphysics?)
15. Nathaniel Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter: Severing the Heritage)
16. Mark Twain (Huckleberry Finn: Rejecting The Faith)
17. Earnest Hemingway & John Steinbeck (Twentieth Century Literature)
Part 3: The Cultural Nephilim
18. Pandora’s Machine
19. Gardens in the Ashes
Homeschooled himself in the 1960s and 70s, Kevin Swanson and his wife, Brenda, are now homeschooling their five children. Kevin has 43 years of experience in the homeschooling movement and serves as the director of Generations With Vision—a ministry he founded to strengthen homeschool families. Kevin's passion is to strengthen and encourage the homeschooling movement all over the world, and to cast a vision for generations to come. For the last 4 years Kevin has hosted a daily radio program, Generations Radio, the world's largest homeschooling and biblical worldview program that reaches families across the US and in over 100 countries. Kevin has also served as the executive director of Christian Home Educators of Colorado for the last nine years.