“Male and female he created them.” —Genesis 1:27
It’s one of the most important—and controversial—topics of our time.
God created men and women in his image—equal in value and complementary in roles. These distinctive roles are not the vestiges of a bygone era, but integral to God’s timeless good design for humanity.
Designed for Joy includes fresh contributions from fourteen young leaders, casting a unified vision for Christian manhood and womanhood. Whether discussing the significance of gender, the truth about masculinity and femininity, the blessing of purity, or the challenge of raising children in a confusing world, this practical resource challenges us to embrace God’s good design—for his glory and our joy.
Table of Contents:
Introduction: How Does the Gospel Shape Manhood and Womanhood? - Owen Strachan
1. Being a Man and Acting Like One - Jonathan Parnell
2. Masculinity Handed Down - Joe Rigney
3. The Happy Call to Holistic Provision - David Mathis
4. The Feminine Focus - Trillia Newbell
5. The Nature of a Woman’s Nurture - Gloria Furman
6. What Is Submission? - Christina Fox
7. Every Day Godward - Tony Reinke
8. Discipline for Our Good - Andy Naselli
9. Training Our Kids in a Transgender World - Denny Burk
10. Good News for the Not-Yet-Married - Marshall Segal
11. Purity We Can Count On - Grant and GraceAnna Castleberry
12. My Recovery from Feminism - Courtney Reissig
13. Immature Manhood and the Hope of Something Better - Brandon Smith
Afterword: The Glad Conviction - Jonathan Parnell
Owen Strachan (PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is associate professor of Christian theology and director of the Theological and Cultural Engagement at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He also serves as president of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood.
Jonathan Parnell (MDiv, Bethlehem College & Seminary) serves as the lead pastor of Cities Church in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota. He and his wife, Melissa, have five children.
“A fresh and engaging look at the rich, biblical teaching on gender. The world has lied to our generation: freedom and power are not found by throwing off the created order, but in recovering it. This book renewed in me an excitement to teach these concepts to a rising generation!” - J. D. Greear, Lead Pastor, The Summit Church, Durham, North Carolina; author, Gaining By Losing