Students of theology can find themselves strengthened and renewed while they study, but it can also be a time of trial. This reader shows how to navigate such trials as we study for and then engage in Christian ministry. It includes wisdom from voices past: Augustine; Martin Luther; C. H. Spurgeon; B. B. Warfield; Dietrich Bonhoeffer and C.S. Lewis. Several modern authors also show how to navigate various aspects of theological study successfully: D. A. Carson (Biblical Studies); Carl Trueman (Church History); Gerald Bray (Systematic Theology); Dennis Hollinger (Christian Ethics); and John Woodhouse (Seminary life). The book shows how we can move from being 'lost among words' as we study of theology, to being 'lost for words' in praise of God.
Table of Contents:
Part One: Voices Past
1. Augustine – Time out to Pray, Read and Weep
2. Martin Luther – Experience Makes the Theologian
3. C.H. Spurgeon – Frailty and the Grace of God
4. B.B. Warfield – The Spiritual Life of Theological Students
5. Dietrich Bonhoeffer – Becoming Real Theologians
6. C.S. Lewis – Inner Circles and True Inclusion
Part Two: Voices Present
7. John W. Woodhouse – The Trials of Theological College
8. D.A. Carson – The Trials of Biblical Studies
9. Carl R. Trueman – The Trials of Church History
10. Gerald L. Bray – The Trials of Systematic Theology
11. Dennis P. Hollinger – The Trials of Christian Ethics
Brian Rosner is Principal of Ridley College, Melbourne, Australia.
Andrew Cameron teaches Ethics, Social Ethics & Philosophy at Moore Theological College in Sydney, Australia.
"This is the book that so many of us have been waiting for, a book that will be sure to grace the lives of students and pastors and their teachers in the years to come." - R. Kent Hughes ~ Senior Pastor Emeritus, College Church, Wheaton, Illinois
"Without the "trials of theology" we remain on the surface of the statutes of God. May the Spirit of truth make this book a means of true thinking about God, deep affections for God, and beautiful obedience to God, through Jesus Christ who is God." - John Piper ~ Founder desiringGod.org, Chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary, Author of spiritual classics including Desiring God and Don't Waste Your Life