A masterful biography of Oliver Cromwell.
Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658) was an English general and statesman who led the Parliament of England 's armies against King Charles I during the English Civil War and ruled the British Isles as Lord Protector from 1653 until his death in 1658.
Table of Contents:
1. Cromwell's Private Life
2. Cromwell's Parliamentary Life
3. Schism Between the King and the Parliament
4. Schism Between the Parliament and the Army
5. Death of the King
8. The Protectorate
9. Organization of Church and State
10. Religious Liberty
11. Morality, Glory, and Antipopery of England
12. Defender of the Faith
13. The Kingship
14. Last Parliament and Death of the Protector
J.H. Merle D'Aubigne (1794-1872) was a Swiss Protestant minister and historian of the Reformation.