When considering the matter of what Jesus is doing now, it is easy simply to say that he is at the Father's right hand, interceding for us. That, of course, is what he is doing. However, as Gary Brady shows us, there is a great deal more to Christ's present work that that.
As he looks at Christ's ascension, why Christ is in heaven, the work of the Holy Spirit and Christ's priestly work, the author shows that Christ's work is far from passive, as some believe, and should affect the way we live our lives every day.
This is a thoroughly biblical examination of a glorious teaching, and it is the author's desire that readers will come to echo the words of Robert Murray M'Cheyne, that '...if I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room I would not fear a million of enemies. Yet the distance makes no difference. He is praying for me.'
Table of Contents:
1. Who are we talking about?
2. When did he begin to do what he is doing now?
3. What does his sitting at God's right hand suggest?
4. What nature is he now in?
5. How can we sum up why he is now in heaven?
6. What about his sending of the Spirit?
7. What is his priestly work in heaven?
8. Why is his priestly work in heaven necessary?
9. What characterizes Christ's present intercession?
10. How should we live in the light of the facts?
A native of South Wales, Gary Brady has been the pastor of Childs Hill Baptist Church, north-west London, since 1983. He has studied at the University of Wales, in Aberystwyth and Cardiff, and in London at the London Theological Seminary and John Owen Centre. He holds a ThM degree from Westminster Theological Seminary.