Beeke, Joel R.
Enjoy the spiritual feast served in The Beauty and Glory of Christ, a compilation of the addresses given at the Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary’s annual conference in August 2010 at Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Each essay sets before readers the unsearchable riches of the Lord Jesus Christ, the hope of our glory and the glory of our hope. Topics include Christ’s beauty prophesied and typified in Isaiah and Song of Solomon; Christ’s glory in His incarnation, earthly ministry, and death on the cross; Christ in historical theology and everyday life; and Christ’s glorious exaltation in His resurrection and in His triumph in the book of Revelation.
Table of Contents:
Christ’s Beauty Prophesied and Typified
1. The Beauty of Isaiah’s Servant — David Murray
2. The Song of David’s Son — Iain Campbell
3. He Is Altogether Lovely — Iain Campbell
Christ’s Glory from Bethlehem to Golgotha
4. The Glory of Christ’s Victorious Incarnation — Richard Phillips
5. The Glory of Christ’s Parables — Gerald Bilkes
6. Jesus, Master of Storms — David Carmichael
7. Jesus, Master of Stress — David Carmichael
8. The Glory of Christ’s Victorious Death — Albert Martin
Christ in Historical Theology and Everyday Life
9. Glorying in the Imputed Righteousness of Christ — Richard Phillips
10. Thomas Goodwin on Christ’s Beautiful Heart — Joel R. Beeke
11. Christology in Marrow Theology — William VanDoodewaard
12. Christology: Calvin, Kuyper, and Politics — Ray Pennings
13. The Daily Challenge of Christ-Centered Living — Ray Pennings
Christ’s Glorious Exaltation
14. The Glory of Christ’s Victorious Resurrection — Albert Martin
15. The Investiture of the Lamb — James Grier
16. Hallelujah to the Triumphant Christ — James Grier
Joel R. Beeke (PhD, Westminster Seminary) is president and professor of systematic theology and homiletics at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary; a pastor of the Heritage Reformed Congregation in Grand Rapids, Michigan; editor of Banner of Sovereign Grace Truth; editorial director of Reformation Heritage Books; and a prolific author.
“B.B. Warfield, that great Presbyterian lover of Christ, once gave two reasons for his being a Christian: the invincible worldwide expansion of Christianity and ‘his own inner experience of the transforming power of his Lord upon the heart and life.’ But it strikes me that the one great indubitable proof of Christianity’s truth is Christ Himself, the paragon of all that is truly glorious and beautiful. Indeed, if there is one startling lack among much of modern Evangelical thinking and doing, it is that the Father’s supreme joy, the Lord Jesus, is strangely absent from so much of our activity. This collection of addresses is a great help to filling this dreadful lacuna. Page after page forces the reader to reckon with this one supreme fact: Christianity is Christ and being a Christian is first and foremost being ravished by His beauty and living for His glory. May God give this volume a wide spiritual impact, for its vision of Christ is sorely needed.” - Michael A. G. Haykin, Professor of Church History and Biblical Spirituality, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville
“Can there be a more delightful theme than this? Drawn upon the insights of a dozen mature preachers who have spent their days seeking to magnify the Lord Jesus Christ, displaying the beauty of His character, the accessibility of His life, the compelling cogency of His preaching, the winsomeness of His personality, His extraordinary courage facing His enemies, His bravery under their torture and mockery and His submission to the will of God, then who cannot but be challenged and strengthened reading these chapters? To know Christ as He was and is, to grow in affection for Him, to appropriate Him in His offices as teacher, Lamb of God, and protecting Shepherd of His people—this is the essence of Christian living and the condition of Christian usefulness. Reading these chapters one’s response is, ‘O that my soul could love and praise Him more; His beauties trace, His majesty adore.’” - Geoff Thomas, Pastor of Alfred Place Baptist Church, Aberystwyth, Wales