DeRouchie, Jason S.
This comprehensive, conversational book is for anyone who wants to understand and apply the Bible—and the New Testament in particular—in a responsible, well-informed, and God-glorifying way. Naselli is an able guide, walking readers through a carefully field-tested twelve-stage interpretive process that pastors, scholars, teachers, and laypeople can use with benefit.
With engaging illustrations and practical answers at their fingertips, readers will master the skills needed to deepen understanding and shape theology with confidence and wisdom.
Table of Contents:
Foreword by D.A. Carson
1. Genre: Establish Guidelines for interpreting a Passage’s Style of Literature
2. Textual Criticism: Establish the Original Wording
3. Translation: Compare Translations
4. Greek Grammar: Understand How Sentences Communicate by Words, Phrases, and Clauses
5. Argument Diagram: Trace the Logical Argument by Arcing, Bracketing, or Phrasing
6. Historical-Cultural Context: Understand the Situation in Which the Author Composed the Literature and Any Historical-Cultural Details That the Author Mentions or Probably Assumes
7. Literary-Context: Understand the Role That a Passage Plays in Its Whole Book
8. Word Studies: Unpack Key Words, Phrases, and Concepts
9. Biblical Theology: Study How the Whole Bible Progresses, Integrates, and Climaxes in Christ
10. Historical Theology: Survey and Evaluate How Significant Exegetes and Theologians Have Understood the Bible and Theology
11. Systematic Theology: Discern How a Passage Theologically Coheres with the Whole Bible
12. Practical Theology: Apply the Text to Yourself, the Church, and the World
Conclusion: Look at the Bible!
Appendix A: Why You Should Organize Your Personal Theological Library and a Way How
Appendix B: Why and How to Memorize an Entire New Testament Book
Andrew David Naselli (PhD, Bob Jones University; PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is Assistant Professor of New Testament and Theology at Bethlehem College & Seminary in Minneapolis and an elder of Bethlehem Baptist Church.
“Skill in reading God’s Word serves the sweetness of relishing God’s glory. So choose your reading guides wisely. Andy Naselli is one of the best.” — John Piper, Founder and Teacher, Desiring God
“A truly one-stop-shopping resource. An outstanding tool not likely to be superseded anytime soon.” — Craig L. Blomberg, Distinguished Professor of New Testament, Denver Seminary
“An outstanding resource. [Naselli’s book] is wonderfully clear and accessible and hence interesting to read. At the same time, it is packed with information so that readers are instructed in the art of interpretation. There are many resources out there on how to interpret the Scriptures, but this is surely one of the best.” — Thomas R. Schreiner, James Buchanan Harrison Professor of New Testament Interpretation and Associate Dean, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
“This book is profitable for grasping a comprehensive view of how to handle the text, serving also as a reference tool that I will go back to again and again.” — Jen Wilkin, Bible Teacher
“I cannot think of another introduction to New Testament exegesis that combines this degree of clarity and comprehensiveness, all with the design of helping us live in light of the gospel for the glory of God.” — Justin Taylor, Executive Vice President of Book Publishing and Book Publisher, Crossway
“Andy Naselli is one of my favorite authors because of the combination of his soundness as a theologian and his giftedness as a teacher. Both qualities are on bright display here.” — Tim Challies, Blogger, challies.com