Understand this highly debated flash point for scientific debate, academic criticism, and common confusion with this unique presentation.
The Flood as described in the Book of Genesis not only shaped the global landscape, it is an event that literally forms our understanding of early biblical history. Now an experienced team of scientists and theologians has written a definitive account of the Genesis Flood with detailed research into the original biblical text and evidences unlocked by modern science and study.
Often recounted and discounted as just a myth or children's story, what we find with deeper study is instead a cataclysmic event, one that truly wiped out life on our planet with the exception of those preserved through God's plan. The devastation the Genesis Flood wreaked upon a rebellious world remains an important part of the biblical narrative we should understand for what it was - a divine act of judgment on a sin-immersed world.
Table of Contents:
Forewords – Eugene Merrill and John Morris
Preface – Steven W. Boyd
Part 1: Charting the Course: Introduction
1. Destination Specified and Challenges Identified: Research Objectives and Obstacles – The Editors
2. The Profit of the Venture: The Significance of Flood Chronology – The Editors
Part 2: Taking Our Bearings: Relevant Issues
3. Treacherous Waters: The Necessity for a New Approach – Steven W. Boyd, Thomas L. Stroup, Drew G. Longacre, Kai M. Akagi, and Lee A. Anderson Jr.
4. Adjusting our Heading: Delineating the New Approach – Steven W. Boyd, Thomas L. Stroup, Drew G. Longacre, Kai M. Akagi, and Lee A. Anderson Jr.
5. Geological Issues – Andrew A. Snelling
6. Geophysical Issues – Andrew A. Snelling
7. Paleontological Issues – Andrew A. Snelling
Part 3: The Voyage Begins: Investigation
8. Waves of Opinion: The Chronology of the Flood in Literature Past and Present – Lee A. Anderson Jr.
9. Charting the Textual Waters: Textual Issues in the Chronology of the Genesis Flood Narrative – Drew G. Longacre
10. The Charybdis of Morphology: The Sequentiality of Wayyiqtol? – Thomas L. Stroup
11. The Verbal Tiller: Lexical Semantics of Verbs as a Factor in Sequentiality – Temporal Progression at the Micro-Level – Kai M. Akagi
12. Tacking with the Text: The Interconnection of Text, Event, and Time at the Macro-level – Steven W. Boyd
13. Reading the Literary Currents: The Complexity of Hebrew Narrative and Modes of Discourse – Temporal Progression at the Mega-level – Thomas L. Stroup
Part 4: Battening Down the Hatches: Preparation for Application to the Flood Narrative
14. Sounding the Structural Depths: Theme Tracing and the Segmentation of the Narrative – Lee A. Anderson Jr.
15. Navigation Points in Text: Methodological and Linguistic Preliminaries for the Study of the Semantic, Syntactic, and Discourse-Pragmatic Functions in Biblical Hebrew Narrative – Drew G. Longacre
Part 5: On the High Seas: Summation, Application, Expectations
16. The View from Aloft – Steven W. Boyd, Andrew A. Snelling, Thomas L. Stroup, Drew G. Longacre, Kai M. Akagi, and Lee A. Anderson Jr.
Dr. Steven Boyd was an Associate Research Scholar on the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon Project at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Cincinnati, interim pastor and visiting faculty member at Capital Bible Seminary, Multnomah Biblical Seminary and Northwest Baptist Seminary before coming to The Master’s College. He is a specialist in biblical Hebrew, Semitic Languages and Old Testament Studies and is a member of both the Society of Biblical Literature and The Evangelical Theological Society.
Dr. Andrew Snelling joined Answers in Genesis in mid-2007 as the organization’s Director of Research, as a research geologist, and also as a speaker for layperson and technical audiences. He also serves as Editor-in-Chief of the online Answers Research Journal. He has traveled around Australia, the USA, and widely overseas (Britain, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, Korea, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China), speaking in schools, churches, colleges, and public and university meetings—to both lay and technical audiences—on the overwhelming scientific evidence consistent with the biblical account of Creation and the Genesis Flood, based largely on his own research.
“Several previous treatments of the Flood’s geological effects have been undertaken, especially by author Dr. Andrew Snelling. His thinking is now partnered with and supplemented by Dr. Steve Boyd’s understanding of the details of the Hebrew text…Together, they have produced a presentation like no other.” – John D. Morris
“Issues regarding the integrity, credibility, and relevance of the Bible never go away…This is eminently true of the narrative of the Noah Flood and its literacy, hermeneutical, and scientific dimensions. Usually…pursued by the solitary exegete or geologist but seldom by both in one publication…Grappling breathes the rarefied air of precisely that collaboration in the persons of Steven W. Boyd and Andrew A. Snelling.” – Eugene H. Merrill