By critically examining the writings of egalitarians, Grudem shows that, while egalitarian leaders claim to be subject to Scripture in their thinking, what is increasingly evident in their actual scholarship and practice is an effective rejection of the authority of Scripture.
Egalitarianism is heading toward an Adam who is neither male nor female, a Jesus whose manhood is not important, and a God who is both Father and Mother, and then maybe only Mother. The common denominator in all of this is a persistent undermining of the authority of Scripture in our lives. Grudem's conclusion is that we must choose either evangelical feminism or biblical truth. We can't have it both ways!
Table of Contents:
Part 1: Some Paths to Liberalism in Recent History
2. The Historical Connection Between Liberalism and the Endorsement of Women’s Ordination in the Church
Part 2: Evangelical Feminist Views that Undermine or Deny the Authority of Scripture
3. Saying that Genesis is Wrong
4. Saying That Paul was Wrong
5. Saying that Some Verses Found in Every Manuscript are not part of the Bible
6. ‘Later Developments’ Trump Scripture
7. ‘Redemptive Movement’ Trump Scripture
8. Is It Just a Matter of Choosing our Favorite Verses?
9. Can We Just Ignore the ‘Disputed’ Passages?
10. Does a Pastor’s Authority Trump Scripture?
11. Teaching in the parachurch?
12. Tradition Trumps Scripture
13. Experience Trumps Scripture
14. ‘Calling’ Trumps Scripture
15. ‘Prophecies’ Trump Scripture
16. Circumstances Trump Scripture
17. Calling a Historical Passage a Joke
18. The Result of Rejecting the Authority of the Bible in These Ways
Part 3: Evangelical Feminist Views Based on Untruthful or Unsubstantiated Claims
19. Disruptive Women in Corinth?
20. Women Homeowners as Elders?
21. Women Deacons with Authority?
22. Uneducated women in Ephesus?
23. Women Teaching False Doctrine in Ephesus?
24. Women Teaching a Gnostic Heresy in Ephesus?
25. Does ‘Head’ Mean ‘Source’?
26. Strange Meanings for ‘Authority’ – are They Right?
27. Is the Son Not Subordinate to the Father in the Trinity?
28. Women Bishops in the Early Church?
29. These Ten Untruthful or Unsubstantiated Claims also Undermine the Authority of Scripture
Part 4. Where is Evangelical Feminism Taking Us
30. The Next Step: Denial of Anything Uniquely Masculine
31. Another Troubling Step: God our Mother
32. The Final Step: Approval of Homosexuality
33. Some Complementarians Help Evangelical Feminists by Being Harsh, Mean, or Abusive
34. Some Complementarians Help Evangelical Feminists by Being Cowardly or Silent
35. Places Where Evangelical Feminism Already Has much Influence
36. What is Ultimately at Stake: The Bible
Wayne Grudem (PhD, University of Cambridge; DD, Westminster Theological Seminary) is research professor of theology and biblical studies at Phoenix Seminary, having previously taught for 20 years at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Grudem earned his undergraduate degree at Harvard University, as well as an MDiv from Westminster Seminary.
"Biblical authority is at stake in the debate between complementarianism and egalitarianism-because if you can get egalitarianism from the Bible, you can get anything from the Bible. The weight of Grudem's cumulative argument is considerable, and cannot easily be dismissed." - J. Ligon Duncan, Chancellor and CEO, Reformed Theological Seminary, Jackson, Mississippi
"While authors and scholars sympathetic to egalitarianism may be loath to consider they may in fact be wrong, Grudem pleads with his readers to reconsider their positions." - Michael Easley, Pastor, Fellowship Bible Church, Brentwood, Tennessee
"Wayne Grudem exhibits faithfulness to the biblical revelation and courage in the light of near universal opposition. There is not a more important book to read on the subject than this one." - Paige Patterson, President, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
"The entire Body of Christ owes an enormous debt of gratitude to Wayne Grudem for his courage in taking on what has become a Goliath within the camp of modern-day evangelicalism." - Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth, author; radio host, Revive Our Hearts
"Wayne Grudem takes a vital stand and encourages us to join him. He tackles the issue firmly and fairly and with the clarity we have come to expect." - Alistair Begg, Senior Pastor, Parkside Church, Chagrin Falls, Ohio