A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes, edited by David W. Hall and Peter A. Lillback, fills a gap in the literature for Reformation studies. Twenty leading Calvin scholars have contributed to a work that ably provides a section-by-section commentary on Calvin's magnum opus.
Capturing both the best of elite scholarship, as well as exhibiting a firm understanding of and passion for Calvin's own work, these essays provide definitive commentary from elite Calvin scholars who seek to elucidate his work and display its abiding value.
This long-needed work serves as the natural companion to Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion for classes, students, pastors, and others for years to come.
Read Sample Pages
Table of Contents:
- The Historical Context of the Institutes as a Work in Theology – William S. Barker
- A Primal and Simple Knowledge – K. Scott Oliphint
- Calvin’s Doctrine of Holy Scripture – Robert L. Reymond
- The True and Triune God: Calvin’s Doctrine of the Holy Trinity – Douglas F. Kelly
- Election and Predestination: The Sovereign Expressions of God – R. Scott Clark
- Creation and Providence – Joseph A. Pipa Jr.
- A Shattered Vase: The Tragedy of Sin in Calvin’s Thought – Michael S. Horton
- Calvin’s Interpretation of the History of Salvation: The Continuity and Discontinuity of the Covenant – Peter A. Lillback
- The Mediator of the Covenant – Derek W. H. Thomas
- Calvin on Christ’s Saving Work – Robert A. Peterson
- Justification and Union With Christ – Richard B. Gaffin Jr.
- Appropriating Salvation: The Spirit, Faith and Assurance, and Repentance – Joel R. Beeke
- The Law and the Spirit of Christ – David Clyde Jones
- Ethics: The Christian Life and Good Works according to Calvin – William Edgar
- Prayer: “The Chief Exercise of Faith” – David B. Calhoun
- Calvin, Worship, and the Sacraments – W. Roberts Godfrey
- John Calvin’s View of Church Government – Joseph H. Hall
- Calvin on Human Government and the State – David W. Hall
- Calvin’s Doctrine of the Last Things: The Resurrection of the Body and the Life Everlasting – Cornelis P. Venema
- Essential Calvin Bibliography – Richard C. Gamble and Zachary John Kail
David W. Hall is senior pastor of Midway Presbyterian Church in Powder Springs, Georgia. He is the general editor of the Calvin 500 series.
Peter A. Lillback is president of Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia.
"For making Calvin known today as well as once he was, and in every age deserves to be, this really is a major step forward." -J. I. Packer, Professor of theology, regent College, Vancouver