This volume grows out of a conference at The John Owen Centre for Theological Study in London to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformer's birth. Topics covered include Calvin’s life and reforming work, his Institutes of the Christian Religion, aspects of his theology, and his commitment to revolutionary living and powerful preaching.
The contributors are Joel Beeke, Sinclair Ferguson, Ian Hamilton, Anthony Lane, Ray Pennings, and Paul Wells.
Table of Contents:
Introduction – Gary J. Williams
PART 1—LIFE AND WORK
1. Calvin the Man: A Heart Aflame - Sinclair B. Ferguson
2. Calvin the Reformer - Ian Hamilton
3. Calvin’s Way of Doing Theology: Exploring the Institutes - Anthony N. S. Lane
PART 2—DOCTRINE AND EXPERIENCE
4. Calvin and Union with Christ: The Heart of Christian Doctrine - Paul Wells
5. Calvin and Christian Experience: The Holy Spirit in the Life of the Christian - Sinclair B. Ferguson
PART 3—CHRISTIAN LIVING AND MINISTRY
6. Calvin the Revolutionary: Christian Living in a Fallen World - Joel R. Beeke and Ray Pennings
7. Calvin and Preaching: The Power of the Word - Joel R. Beeke
Joel Beeke is a pastor of Heritage Netherlands Reformed Congregation in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and President and Professor of Systematic Theology and Homiletics at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary.
Garry Williams is Director of The John Owen Centre for Theological Studies at London Theological Seminary in England and Visiting Professor of Historical Theology at Westminster Theological Seminary, Philadelphia.
"The quincentenary of Calvin’s birth last year produced a veritable host of books on the French Reformer, some tremendous, some so-so. This is one of the best, and no wonder: combine the richest themes of Calvin's theology and a stellar company of authors who know their subjects really well and you have the present volume. Truly a savory entrée of Calviniana!" - Michael Haykin
"Another book on Calvin? Yes! And welcome it is, for these addresses retain their spoken style and read like tracts encouraging us to view Scripture through Calvin’s lens—a perspective that proves itself more faithful as each anniversary of Calvin’s life or death passes by. Treasure!" - Derek Thomas