These inspirational readings probe Christ's seven words from the cross and equally significant, seven words from the risen Lord, after his death. These words highlight the glory of Calvary, the heart of God and how wonderfully Jesus understood that his death and resurrection was to be effective in bringing into being atonement from sin for those seeking forgiveness.
These pastoral words give us a richer understanding of the amazing love that drew Jesus from heaven to the cross, to conquer for his people the powers of darkness, sin and hell once and for all. Discover in these words from Jesus and these warm hearted writings the reality of the forgiveness we have in Christ.
Table of Contents:
Part One: Words from the Cross
1. The Heart of God (Luke 23:34) – Boice
2. The Luckiest Man Alive (Luke 23:43) – Ryken
3. Family Ties (John 19:26-27) – Ryken
4. Human After All (John 19:28) – Ryken
5. Forsaken, Yet Not Forsaken (Matt. 27:46) – Ryken
6. Mission Accomplished (John 19:30) – Ryken
7. Homeward Bound (Luke 23:46) – Ryken
Part Two: The Real Last Words of Christ
8. A Word for the Seeker (John 20:15) – Ryken
9. A Word for the Fearful (Matt. 28:10) – Ryken
10. A Word for the Restless (John 20:19, 21)– Ryken
11. A Word for the Troubled (Luke 24:27) – Boice
12. A Word for the Skeptical (Luke 24:39) – Ryken
13. A Word for the Fallen (John 21:17) – Ryken
14. A Word for Everyone (Matt. 28:18-20) – Boice
James Montgomery Boice (1938-2000) was pastor of Tenth Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia from 1968 until his death in 2000. He served as Chairman of the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy and was a founding member of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals. He was a prolific author and published over 50 works.
Dr Philip Ryken became President of Wheaton College in July 2010. Prior to that he was Senior Minister of Tenth Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is also a prolific author and a council member of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, blogging on their website www.reformation21.org.
"Boice and Ryken are both excellent preachers, but first and foremost they are writing as men who have themselves been transformed by the words of Jesus. Reading this book, his words will come to you freshly too and you cannot help but marvel at his saving and transforming work." - Adrian Reynolds ~ Director of Ministry, The Proclamation Trust & Associate Minister, East London Tabernacle.
"It is a delight to me personally and a privilege for the Christian world generally to have these examples of their Biblical ministry made available by Christian Focus.." - Eric Alexander ~ Conference speaker and formerly minister St George's Tron, Glasgow for 20 years.